Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So let me get this straight - Pontiac dies, but Saab lives?

Where is the justice in this world?

But I digress. Most people my age have no soft spot for Pontiac. the late 90's gave us a deluge of poorly sheet-metaled POS's powered by the Quad Four, arguably the worst motor in history. They had poor styling, C-grade interiors, and an exhaust note that just sounded like it was about to die. But then a drove the newer GTO. Whoa. Sure, it was a Holden. Sure it looked like a Dodge Neon. But damn that thing moved, and it was a great ride. The G8 was posed to be the renaissance of the car maker, as GM gets back on it's feet with a slew of good platforms.

Anyway, todays story comes to us via Jalopnik and the WSJ.

Spyker, makers of such fine motors as the C8 Cab has rescued Saab from the inevitable doom. The Dutch car maker will receive a majority of the right to the company while GM reserves a 1% voting stake. Personally, I hate Saabs, and I always have. The windshields make them feel like driving with the visibility of Kanye West sunglasses. But its really their styling and image that irks me - I have no real driving background in them. I think the only high point in the entire automakers history was the short lived "Saabaru" hybrid monstrosities that were understated and badass, yet still pretentious.

No comments:

Post a Comment