Thursday, June 10, 2010

Off to LA, but ran into some lunch meat

So off we go again, and taking to the skies instead of the road. I’m going on another shooting assignment, and this one should be a lot of fun. But getting there is half the fun and I swear the following story is true.

So I am in the security line at JFK’s Delta Terminal. I like to consider myself a pro at this after logging close to half a million miles professionally. I take off my shoes, watch, sunglasses, and any other metal. Take out my laptop, my Ziploc bag full of minis and wait to pass through the metal detector, boarding pass and ID in hand. I am waved through, and then I await the arrival of my personal effects through the X-ray machine. Suddenly, a TSA agent whisked away my main carry on bag. I wasn’t surprised, random checks happen all the time. I would have figured they would have gone after my tech laden camera bag, but that’s neither here nor there. I bend down to put my shoes back on quickly, and walk over to where the young agent is opening my bag.

At first, I am shocked to see what she is doing. She has my bag opened, and forcefully stuffing in large containers of spices and what appears to be the dirty looking laundry of the traveler next to her. And then comes the SPAM.

I kid you not. She stuffed probably five full cans of SPAM into my bag. To which prompted me to ask “Excuse me, why are you putting SPAM in my bag?” my first question goes ignored, most likely not heard. I approach again, and try to intervene in this situation before it gets out of hand, and things get meaty. This is when she tells me it isn’t my bag… And the guy next to her nods in agreement. At this point, he thinks he is getting a nice free bag to hold all of his SPAM. Not if I can help it.

So eventually, I talk them down and show them that it is indeed my bag, and the agent apologizes, and assures me, we have the exact same bag.  Then another agent comes over, and I will admit the bags have similarities –they both have zippers, compartments for holding things and straps. Other than that, totally different.

So here I am now, on my flight to LA. I have the following questions.

  1. Who carries that much SPAM through an International terminal?

  2. Why SPAM? I still don’t get it.

  3. Why would you not let the agent know she is filling another passengers bag with delicious lunch meat and spices?

  4. Will I get bed bugs / lice from this guys clothes being on top of mine? Seriously, he looked like he arrived to JFK directly from underneath the GWB lower level. You all know what I’m talking about.


In retrospect, it’s more funny than annoying, and I had to share it with everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Great article on another site and didn’t quite get it. Your post helped me understand it better.

    ReplyDelete