This Thursday is by far one of the most unpredictable traffic days of the year. We just don’t know if everyone is going to be taking Friday off to get a jump on their weekend plans. We don’t know how much extra construction there will be, because crews earn time and a half for working on the holiday. We don’t know how many non-commuters will get into accidents and cause major delays for the rest of us. But I can tell you the tolls will likely be hellish.
Nevertheless, I thought of something the other day. Everyone likes top 10 lists, so I put together a list of the top ways you know you are a hardcore commuter for the NY Metro Area.
- You can straddle a pothole at 60 mph without breaking a sweat
- You follow the person with their convertible top down on the CBX, and squeal with delight on the inside when they get the mystery water substance dumped on them that falls from the underpasses
- 1010Wins and NewsRadio88 are your first two presets
- Most other places in the world would consider our safe following distance to be tailgating
- Don’t worry about that NYPD cop, I’m only doing 65 MPH in a 50 zone
- You know that the word “express” usually means slower. For example, “express” lanes for NJ turnpike, Long Island “Express”way, etc
- You have a deep appreciation for Jewish holidays, no matter what your faith is
- You have a favorite toll lane
- You know the Clearview is where it’s at
- And finally, you get really annoyed on Fridays when all the slow, non commuters invade your way home.
99 Corolla, 96 BMW 3 series, 2000 Maxima, 96 Grand Marquis, 94 Grand Marquis