Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Get a New View

So according to the news, the great blizzard of the century was once again upon the tri-state area, and I braced for a horrible commute. Of course, with all the schools on a two hour delay, I made it into work with an hour to spare. Let us hope for the same luck on the way home. But I actually wanted to share a very useful article I just read…

I tried something new today which went against everything I was taught when learning how to drive. I read in the latest Car & Driver that the NHTSA or one of those Government agencies has new guidelines for side view mirror placement. Apparently, what I had been taught about being able to see the edges of my rear flanks was wrong. The side view mirrors should be extended outward so that the view just slightly overlaps what you see in the center rearview. This is actually a pretty major adjustment to your viewing angle.

I tried it on this morning’s snowy commute, and I must say it is quite effective, but it does take some getting used to. Try it, and it eliminates the need for a blind spot mirror in most instances.

Broken Down since last post…

2001 Chevy Blazer, 1994 Toyota Camry, early 00’s Lincoln Town Car, 1999 Honda Accord

No comments:

Post a Comment