Monday, October 31, 2011

Time to Bust out the Scraper

I think I’m getting soft. This morning, I was slightly annoyed that I actually had to scrape the ice off of my car, which is unusual for Long island in October. And then I remembered what it was like living up in Utica, where scraper Season could easily last from mid-September to early May.

This prompted me to post today about one of my favorite tools that we all have in our cars, which usually goes underappreciated: The ice scraper.  I keep one in my trunk too most of the year - but not just any ice scraper, it’s the Prestone “Polar Claw”. I picked up this bad boy one day during a "lake effect snow" in 1999, when I realized my standard issue plastic scraper was wholly inadequate for a Central NY winter.  When you live up there, you need something a bit more hardcore than the typical plastic junk. It’s way more bad-ass than your typical scraper, with three sets of blades, (2 serrated, one sharp) reinforced bristles, and is made of anodized aluminum with grips. It shames all other scrapers, and in the winter it rides shotgun with me in my passenger seat for easy access.  I don’t know if they still sell this thing, as it might be considered a weapon is some states.

[caption id="attachment_464" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="One Scraper to rule them all...."][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment