Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Damn, that lady could drive.

The people you are closest to always have an impact on your life. Today was my Mothers birthday, and she passed away nearly five years ago. She gave me a lot in this life in terms of knowledge and confidence, and was a truly generous person that made a difference in the lives of everyone around her. She is sincerely missed by everyone that knew her.
But I have never really talked about one of most unique attributes that no one really knew about - Damn, that lady could drive.
To this day, I have never seen another woman who could drive like her. She taught me how to drive a manual, do a donut, drive a car with no brakes, and how to properly execute a J-turn. She taught me how to properly drive in the snow, and how to outrun the fuzz, yet she never showed me how to talk your way out of a ticket. She also let me know about all the “Yahoos” on the road and how to avoid them.
I remember she was so excited to have her first brand new car, an 87 Monte Carlo. The thing was classy, an off white with brown trim. I think after that was the obvious mini van phase that swept the nation with a Grand Caravan. Of course, she had to have the one with the big motor. After this was the truck phase, graduating into a 2003 GMC Sierra. That got totaled within a week of moving to Florida, which is when she got her favorite, a full size Durango with the monster V8, which still lives on, and I make a point to drive every time I’m in Florida visiting.

1 comment:

  1. And she always said I was a lousy driver. Sometimes I think she was right. But then I shared the joy of teaching you 3 boys to drive. So I guess you got all your bad driving habits from me ( if you have any...).

    D

    ReplyDelete