Monday, April 26, 2010

New Brakes!

So its an exciting day for me, because my car actually stops now. Stop and go traffic is absolute murder on any brake system, and my rotors were so warped it felt like I was operating a 30mm machine gun every time I hit the pedal above 35 MPH, with a Ratt-ta-tat-tat shimmy thats so wicked it threatens to shear my axles.

I didn't quite feel like spending $900 or more to get a complete brake overhaul, so instead went online and bought a full new set of rotors and ceramic pads. I went through Ebay and picked up a set of RotorPros. I opted to get blacked out, zinc coated drilled rotors. They sent me slotted and drilled, but whatever. They look damn good, especially after blacking out the calipers.  I spent about $250 on the complete set, and called my buddy Ryan up for some install help. We completed all 4 in about 3 hours.
My new Rotors!

 

 

But here is why I went drilled. Stop and Go traffic heats up Rotors to such excessive heats, warping occurs very easily, and thats what happened to my stock Nissan rotors. Drilled rotors dissipate heat much more effectively, prolonging rotor life and resisting brake fade. they also provide enhanced stopping power, as they bite the pad more effectively than blanks.

But whats the cons to rotors? Drilled rotors are more prone to cracking, especially if they are cheap. Slotted rotors increase stopping power by wiping the pad clean on every pass, but they also eat brake pads. Additionally,  another drawback I'm finding after three days is that the brake dust is excessive. My stock rims are still on, so it is a very subtle addition to the car that no one will notice, which is good for me.

Broken down - 94 Ford Taurus, 95 4-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment